Monday 28 January 2008

Technique: Olympus XA-1

I wouldn't usually talk about cameras, but with time the very snapshotty and technically limited XA-1 has got to be my camera of choice. It is a normal film camera with a 35mm lens, no way to focus or change aperture. It measures the light with an old selenium cell that usually overexposes during daylight and you can only set it up for 100 or 400 ASA film. But it's terribly small, easy to carry and a no-worrier... as far as you shoot with flash. At night, things that are between about 1.2m and 2.5m will be focused and exposed. Framing is as simple as looking through the viewfinder.





I smashed mine badly yesterday and the flash stopped working and the cover opened. I have to give it to a mate one day to see if he can fix it. In the meantime I'm looking on ebay for an XA2 (more sophisticated... now you are supposed to be able to choose focus) with a larger flash. My idea was to carry two XA's, one in each pocket. One of them has a smaller flash and it's used for most situations when shooting. The other one would have a larger flash and be dedicated for shooting infrared flash and film. Finally all my needed equipment arrived. Back to ebay...


Picture by Maciej Dakowicz.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can borrow my XA until you get what you're looking for

Hates_ said...

Are you not interested in the top XA model?

J. Karanka said...

@eamon: I think I'll get an xa2 soon, don't worry

@richard: the flash indicator in the xa pops out of the body, plus it's a camera a bit too expensive to get turned into bits every now and then, better somebody else uses it